I’ve been accenting the sweetness of summer watermelons with the bitter bite of Campari for years…which means I should have thought of this Watermelon Negroni cocktail sooner.
- 3 ounces London dry gin (I like Haymans)
- 3 ounces sweet vermouth (I’m a fan of Punt e Mes)
- 8 Watermelon Campari cubes (recipe below)
- 1 cup fresh watermelon juice
- 1 cup Campari
- Place 8 Watermelon Campari ice cubes into a cocktail shaker and add 3 ounces each dry gin and sweet vermouth.
- Shake for 10-15 seconds then serve in rocks glasses WITH the cubes and garnish with lemon twists.
- Most standard ice cube trays hold two cups of liquid, so for one standard tray, stir together a cup each watermelon juice and Campari and freeze overnight into cubes.
- Note about Watermelon Campari Ice Cubes: Although you can simply blend and strain watermelon chunks for juice, I cut a hole in one end of a watermelon, insert a stick blender and pull the trigger. It takes a couple of minutes and a bit of butter-churning up and down action, but you can basically liquefy the entire thing and with no mess. Then simply pour straight out into a strainer to remove the seeds and pulp.