Every four years, when the polls close, I cook a steak. I don’t know why I started the tradition…maybe sometimes I need a visceral reminder of why this country is so freakin’ awesome and no victual sums up that self-evident truth like steak.
This year I’m going with a top sirloin because this election has been tough on all of us and if you’re not careful, sirloin can be tough. In fact, you could choke on it if you’re not careful.
Now I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty much done with spin, so I’m keeping this elemental: steak, kosher salt and a crap ton of heat. That’s right…no oil no butter…that would make things slippery and I think we’ve had enough of that for now.
America…eat well and sleep well. Tomorrow is a new day…one way or another.
- One sirloin steak (1.5 inches thick, one pound five ounces)
- 1 tablespoon of kosher salt
- Take steak out of fridge 30 minutes before cooking. I like dry sides so I keep mine unwrapped on a rack for air flow.
- The cast iron goes over the heaviest heat you’ve got for 5 full minutes.
- Either crank your hood, open a window or take the batteries out of your smoke detector because there will be smoke, and if there isn't you ain’t doin' it right.
- Liberally salt the pan…how liberally? I use one tablespoon. That's right because if I can survive the last few months of TV salt won't kill me in a night. Besides most of it will be staying in the pan. That's right we're actually cooking on salt. Why not? It's a rock aint it? And I like my steaks crusty and salt will pull out proteins lending my sear actual crunch.
- The room temp steak goes into a pan hotter than the engines on a presidential candidate's jet. Do not interrupt the steak for one minute. Sure it'll feel like a long time because…never mind.
- Flip the steak and cook for another minute. Uninterrupted.
- Turn the steak up on one long edge and cook 30 seconds.
- Turn the steak onto the opposite long edge and cook another 30 seconds.
- Remove the steak and wrap tightly in foil for 3 minutes.
- Regardless of who wins, someone’s going to have to take some bitter medicine. Luckily I like medicine, and that's why I drink Coke and Fernet Branca, a medicinal, bitter liqueur from Italy…but that's just me.
- The steak goes back in the pan one minute, then flip and repeat, flip and repeat, flip and repeat. That's a total of four minutes, two on each side…trust me on this.
- Re-wrap in foil and rest 5 more minutes.
- Slice on the bias and consume with your hands…because, after all, this has been a gloves-off kind of election.