Make these chocolate souffles right and you won’t have to get flowers and chocolate too.
SIMPLE CHOCOLATE SOUFFLÉS
Write a review
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature plus extra for the ramekins
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar, plus extra for the ramekins
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat four 6-ounce ramekins with butter and sprinkle the insides with granulated sugar. Bring a kettle of water to a boil while you prepare the batter.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Set aside
- Puree the butter, sugar and eggs for 1 minute in a blender for 1 minute.
- Warm the milk and vanilla extract by microwaving on high for 30 second. Add the instant espresso powder and stir until dissolved.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the butter to the blender and puree for 30 seconds. Add the milk mixture and puree again for 30 seconds. Add the remaining flour and puree for 1 minute.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared ramekins.
- Set the ramekins in an 8-inch square pan and set the pan on the oven rack. Pour hot water in bottom of pans to 1/8 inch deep and slide into the oven. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove pans from oven and let ramekins stand in water for 5 minutes.
- Remove ramekins from water and cool slightly before serving. The soufflés can be served straight from the cups or inverted onto a plate.
ALTON BROWN http://altonbrown.com/