There’s one thing I know — potato chips rock. I tend to favor the salt and vinegar variety, but I love me some barbecue too.
BBQ Potato Chips
Write a review
- 1 cup apple wood chips
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, optional
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, scrubbed and rinsed
- 2 quarts peanut oil
- Soak the wood chip in water for 30 minutes.
- Slice the potatoes width wise into 1/8 inch-thick rounds. Arrange the potatoes on the Steel Lotus* dividing them into thirds and staggering any overlapping pieces.
- Line an 8-quart stockpot with aluminum foil and set the drained wood chips in the bottom. Set the Steel Lotus in the pot over the wooden chips, cover, and set over high heat. "Smoke" the potato slices for 20 minutes (you may want to turn on your fan or hood vent) then remove the pot from the heat.
- While the potatoes smoke, combine the paprika, brown sugar, onion powder, salt, chili powder and garlic powder in a food processor or a small coffee grinder reserved for spices. Pulse to combine and form a fine powder. Set aside.
- Remove the Steel Lotus from the pot and remove the potato slices to clean paper towels (this wicks away any residual moisture to prevent splattering oil later).
- Heat the peanut oil in a 4-quart cast iron Dutch oven, over medium-high heat, to 300 degrees F.
- While the oil heats, line a large mixing bowl with paper towels. Carefully add the potato slices one at a time to the hot oil. Using a spider , fry 6 to 8 slices at a time in the hot oil for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Remove the chips with the spider and hold over the oil to drain as much excess oil as possible. Move the finished chips to the lined bowl and shake to remove additional oil. Adjust the heat as necessary to maintain 300 degrees F and frying the potatoes in small batches.
- When the final batch has finished frying, move the chips to a large brown paper bag. Sprinkle the chips with the spice mixture, fold the top of the bag over to seal and shake. Serve immediately.
- * If you have not built a Steel Lotus — you can simply ‘smoke’ the potatoes in three batches on a single folding steamer basket for 10 minutes per batch.
ALTON BROWN http://altonbrown.com/