Seldom do so many super-foods come together in a recipe you would actually want to eat.
SEEDY DATE BARS
Write a review
- 8 ounces pitted Medjool dates
- 4 ounces dried apricots
- 1 ounce crystallized ginger
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (from 1/2 orange)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup pepitas or green pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Line an 8 x 8-inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine the dates, apricots, ginger, orange zest and salt in the bowl of a food processor and blend for 1 minute until blended and mixture forms a thick paste, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl one time.
- Set a 12-inch skillet over medium-low heat. Add the pepitas to the pan and cook, tossing occasionally for 1 1/2 minutes, then add the sunflower seeds and continue toasting for another 5 minutes. Finally, add the coconut, chia seed, flaxseed and sesame seeds, and toast for 3 minutes. The mixture should be fragrant and the sunflower seeds and coconut flakes lightly browned.
- Add the toasted seeds to the date mixture in the food processor and pulse 5 to 10 times or to desired consistency.
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan and press into an even layer. Refrigerate for 2 hours, then cut into 12 bars with a pizza cutter. Store in an airtight container separated with parchment for up to 1 week.
ALTON BROWN https://altonbrown.com/