Never buy store-bought peanut butter again with this easy recipe.
WOK-FRIED (CHUNKY) PEANUT BUTTER
Yield: 16 ounces, approximately 2 cups
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 pound peanuts, raw, shelled, skinned
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons honey, optional
1. Heat the oil in a wok or large pan over medium high heat until shimmering (time 5 minutes, 350 degrees F). Add the peanuts and stir-fry for one minute. Reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking until the peanuts are golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Remove the peanuts to a paper towel lined half sheet pan and immediately season with salt.
3. Cool the peanuts completely (20 minutes), then transfer a third of the peanuts (one cup) to a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped (20 pulses). Remove the chopped peanuts from the food processor and set aside.
4. Add the remaining peanuts to the food processor and add the salt and honey. Process the peanuts for 5 minutes. Stop and scrape down the sides of the processor as needed.
5. Continue pureeing until the peanut butter is completely smooth. Add the chopped peanuts and pulse 3 to 4 times until well incorporated.
6. Store in an airtight container.
Serving Size: 16, 2 tablespoon servings
Active Prep Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Video, text and images © Alton Brown, 2014