If you plan to eat the peanuts roasted right out of the shell, use Virginia or Valencia peanuts. If you’re going to use the roasted peanuts to make peanut butter, use Spanish peanuts, as they have a higher oil content.
- 2 pounds peanuts, raw in shell
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- Crank the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash the peanuts under cool water. Drain, pat dry and put them in a large bowl. Toss with the peanut oil and salt to coat.
- Divide the peanuts between 2 half sheet pans, making sure to spread them out in a single layer. Roast for 30 to 35 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through cooking. Remove and cool slightly prior to devourment, as they will continue to "cook," becoming crunchy as they cool.