This recipe is part of the Grill Smart video series on Youtube, watch the recipe here: http://bit.ly/ABgrilledchese
Grilled Grilled Cheese
Recipe Courtesy Alton Brown 2014
4 (1/2-inch slices) hearty country bread
1 ounce unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 ounces grated extra sharp cheddar cheese (Cabot)
3 ounces grated gruyere cheese
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Spritz 2 pieces of newspaper lightly with vegetable oil and place in the bottom of a charcoal chimney starter. Fill the chimney starter with natural chunk charcoal, 2 to 3 pounds, and set on the charcoal grate of a kettle grill until hot and ashy, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, butter the bread slices on each side. Combine the cheeses, mustard, paprika and pepper in small bowl.
3. Fold a long (24-inches) piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil in half. Set a large metal griddle spatula in the center and fold the sides up around the spatula, forming a tray. Spritz the spatula-tray with vegetable oil. Repeat with a second piece of aluminum foil and another griddle spatula. Divide the cheese mixture evenly between the spatula-trays, and set aside. Set aside two additional 15-inch sheets of heavy-duty aluminum foil.
4. Carefully and distribute the hot charcoal onto one side of the charcoal grate. Set the cooking grate in place and heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Set the cheese-filled spatula-trays on the grill over indirect heat. Cook for 6 to 9 minutes or until the cheese melts and bubbles around the edges. You may have to adjust the placement of the spatula-trays to ensure even melting and keep the cheese from overheating and breaking.
6. Grill the bread for 1 to 2 minutes per side over direct heat.
7. Place 1 slice of bread on each of the reserved sheets of aluminum foil. Pour off excess grease into a bowl, if desired, then drizzle one spatula’s worth of cheese onto one slice of bread and top with the a second slice of bread. Fold the foil around the sandwich. Repeat with remaining cheese and bread slices, and then return the sandwich packets to the grill over indirect heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
8. Unwrap and serve immediately
Yield: 2 sandwiches
Active Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 to 16 minutes
Inactive Time: n/a