This recipe application for watermelon rind pickles is the finest thing you can do with a watermelon besides greasing it up and chasing it around the pool.
Watermelon Rind Pickles
Write a review
- Rind from a watermelon 5 pound watermelon, approximately 2 pounds
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 ounces candied or crystalized ginger chunks (1/4 cup)
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flake
- 1 teaspoon allspice berries
- 1 star anise pod
- Scoop out melon leaving about 1/4-1/2 inch of red flesh.
- Peel off outer green with vegetable peeler and then cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Bring the apple cider vinegar, water, sugar, ginger, salt and spices to a boil over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan (2-quart). Hold the boil for 60 seconds then carefully add the watermelon. Return to a boil and turn off the heat. Remove the pan from the heat and cool for 30 minutes.
- Move the pickles to a 2-quart jar using a canning funnel and ladle. Pour on as much of the pickling juice as possible. Cover the jar and leave at room temperature for another one and half hours.
- Refrigerate overnight and consume within a month. These pickles must be refrigerated.
- Great as a side with grilled dishes or as salad tossed with crispy, crumbled bacon and served over greens.
ALTON BROWN https://altonbrown.com/