This mixture of spices and thickeners will turn ground meat into a flavor fiesta … and yes, I just said “flavor fiesta.” Why number 19? Because there were 18 formulas before that didn’t quite reach my “fiesta” standards. Although I use this predominantly on beef, it works just as well with ground turkey.
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds, freshly toasted and ground
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Put all the ingredients in a small jar and shake to combine. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month. To use, break up a half pound of ground beef in a wide skillet over medium heat. As soon as it starts to sizzle, sprinkle on a tablespoon or two and continue stirring. As moisture cooks out of the meat and simmers, it will be thickened by the cornstarch. It's a darned tasty trick.
- Makes 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons