Technically speaking, strawberries are members of the rose family and somehow, “strawberry” has become a flavor without a fruit. We enjoy strawberry-flavored gum and ice cream and all manner of processed goods, but when it comes to actual strawberries, we’d just as soon buy imported berries in October because they look pretty. This recipe is about bringing it back the fruit.
- 1 pint medium strawberries (rinsed, hulled and sliced)
- 1/2 bottle (325ml red wine, Pinot Noir or Merlot will do nicely)
- 2 tablespoons orange blossom honey
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Combine all the ingredients in a large airtight container and stir gently. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- To freeze, simply assemble the ingredients in heavy-duty zip-top bags and freeze for up to 1 year.