When combined, these two French classics are more than the sum of their parts.
CREPE QUICHE LORRAINE
FOR THE CREPES
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted, plus more for the pan)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
FOR THE QUICHES
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 2 strips bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- 4 large eggs
- 6 ounces whole milk (3/4 cup)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 ounce cheddar cheese (shredded (about 1/4 cup))
- Make the crepes: In a blender, combine all of the crepe ingredients (except the butter for coating the pan) and 1/4 cup water. Pulse 10 seconds. Place the crepe batter in the refrigerator for 1 hour; this allows the bubbles to subside so the crepes will be less likely to tear during cooking. The batter will keep for up to 48 hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat a small (about 6-inch) nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add butter to coat. Pour a scant 1/4 cup batter into the center of the pan and swirl to spread evenly. Cook 30 seconds and flip. Cook 10 more seconds and remove to a cutting board. Repeat until all of the batter is gone, laying the crepes out flat so they can cool. After they have cooled, you can stack them and refrigerate in sealed plastic bags for several days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Make the quiches: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. In a small saute pan, melt the butter and sweat the onion until translucent. In a small bowl, mix the onion and crumbled bacon together. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk and season with salt and pepper.
- In a nonstick 6-cup muffin tin, place one crepe in each cup. Make sure the edges of the crepes are slightly pleated and overlap the edges of the cups slightly. Spoon the bacon and onion mixture into each cup. Distribute the cheese evenly among the cups. Pour the egg mixture into the cups so all the quiches are the same size. Transfer to the oven; bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until the egg mixture is completely set. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.