Although sweet potatoes can be baked or boiled, steaming is faster, easier and won’t wash away any flavor. In this case, the sweetness is balanced by the smoky heat of the chiles.
Chipotle Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 chipotle chile pepper in adobo sauce (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (from the pepper can)
- Put the sweet potatoes in a steamer basket and put the steamer in a large pot of simmering water that is 1 inch from the bottom of the basket. Cover and steam over medium-high heat for 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are fork-tender.
- Remove the steamer basket, pour the water out of the pot and dump the sweet potatoes into the pot. Add the butter and salt and mash with a potato masher. Add the chile and sauce and continue mashing to combine. Serve immediately.