Swap out the vermouth for Amaro Montenegro — a light, citrusy and bitter Italian liqueur. My favorite gin to use is infused with grapefruit so I use the peel of the fruit instead of an olive. For a dirty martini add a squeeze of grapefruit juice.
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 2 1/2 ounces London dry gin (such as Beefeater 24)
- 1/2 ounce Amaro Montenegro
- Grapefruit peel
- Wrap the ice cubes up in a clean towel and pound with a rolling pin to crush.
- Fill a martini glass with 1 cup of the crushed ice and set aside to chill.
- Add the remaining 1 cup of crushed ice to the bottom of a Boston-style cocktail shaker. Pour in the gin and Amaro Montenegro and stir until chilled, approximately 15 seconds.
- Discard the ice from the martini glass and strain the gin mixture into the serving glass. Garnish with grapefruit peel and serve immediately.