Not Just Another Kale Salad
Kale is a unique, dark leafy green that can stand up to heavy dressings and yet is tender enough to be eaten raw, hence its popularity in salads. This member of the cabbage family comes in three common market forms: curly, red (also curly), and lacinato, aka Tuscan, aka cavolo nero, aka "dinosaur" kale. This latter specimen has long, relatively flat leaves and is my preferred kale for this application. If you want to make the salad ahead, just hold out the chickpeas and refrigerate for up to four hours. I'd still give it time to come to room temp before serving, though. This recipe first appeared in EveryDayCook. Photo by Lynne Calamia
ACTIVE TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, stems removed and cut into ribbons, about 4 ounces with stems removed
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ounces anchovies in olive oil, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Quick Preserved Lemons
- 1 cup Crunchy Chickpeas
- 3 ounces firm feta, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
Toss kale, parsley, and shallot with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, puree the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, anchovies,Yes, you need them and no, the salad won't taste fishy. Just trust me. and 1 ounce of feta cheese in a food processor. Pour the dressing over the kale, then toss in the preserved lemon, crunchy chickpeas, and remaining 2 ounces of feta.
Marinate at room temperature for 1 hour before serving with freshly ground black pepper. If you want to make this ahead, just hold out the chickpeas and refrigerate the salad for up to 4 hours. Bring to room temperature before serving.