Here’s a version of the classic broccoli-cheese casserole that is nowhere near as heavy, salty, or fatty as the one your grandmother used to make…OK, my grandmother used to make. As for the addition of ramen noodles, you’re welcome.This recipe first appeared in Season 6 of Good Eats.
ACTIVE TIME: 25 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 2 hours 5 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1/3 cup water, plus 3 quarts for blanching the broccoli
- 1 pound broccoli, florets broken into bite-sized pieces and stems peeled and chopped
- Kosher salt
- 2 3/4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 (3-ounce) package chicken- or vegetable-flavored ramen noodles
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain whole-milk yogurt, not Greek-style
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup blue cheese dressing
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat oven to 350ºF. Spray an 8-inch square glass baking dish with nonstick spray.
Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in an 8-quart pot over high heat and add several heavy pinches of salt. Prepare an ice bath in a bowl large enough to hold the broccoli. When the water boils, add the broccoli and cook for 1 minute. Drain the broccoli in a colander and immediately place in the ice bath to shock. Swirl around to cool completely, drain, and set aside.
Heat water in an 11-inch straight-sided saute pan over high heat for 30 to 45 seconds, then add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms collapse, 2 to 4 minutes, then add the butter. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the broccoli and ramen noodles and toss to combine.
Turn off the heat. Add the mayonnaise, yogurt, half of the cheese, the blue cheese dressing, eggs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the ramen noodle seasoning pack and toss to combine well. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and smash down with a spatula to compact the casserole. Sprinkle the top with the pepper and remaining cheese.
Cover with heavy-duty aluminum foil and bake on the middle rack of the oven for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Cool 30 minutes before serving.