ACTIVE TIME: 35 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 47 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 medium jalapeño, 1 seeded and minced
- 1 pound (6 medium) Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 ancho chile, snipped with scissors into strips and then into pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Chili powder, to taste
- Fresh scallions, cilantro, or parsley, to taste
Heat the broiler to high and move an oven rack to approximately 6 inches underneath it. Place the whole jalapeño on a pie plate and set it under the broiler. Using tongs, turn the chile every 2 to 3 minutes until the skin is black and crisp. Let the jalapeño cool slightly, then peel away the skin, remove the seeds, and mince.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the roasted jalapeño with the seeded and minced jalapeño, tomatoes, garlic, bell pepper, onion, acho chile, olive oil, lime juice, salt, black pepper, chili powder, and herbs. Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour for flavor infusion.
Serve with tortilla chips.