Spicy Pineapple Sauce Sundae
ACTIVE TIME: 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 (12-ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 1 small habanero pepper, minced
- 4 leaves fresh mint, thinly sliced
- 1 cup corn or canola oil
- 2 (10-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 8 wedges
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
In a 2-quart saucepan, combine pineapple chunks and habanero pepper, and simmer for 5 minutes. Transfer to a small mixing bowl, add the mint, and place in the refrigerator to cool.
In a 2-quart saucepan fitted with a deep-fry thermometer, bring the oil to 325ºF. Carefully add the corn tortilla wedges and cook until golden brown on each side, approximately 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl with a fork. Liberally dust warm corn wedges with the sugar and cinnamon mixture.
Remove the mint leaves from the chilled pineapple sauce and serve over vanilla ice cream with the fried corn tortillas.