Green Peas with Cheese and Herbs
ACTIVE TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 33 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 3 quarts water
- 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 pound (about 3 cups) fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 4 ounces cheese (ricotta salata, fontina or Swiss), cut into 1/4-inch cubes
In a large covered saucepan over high heat, bring the water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a boil. Add the peas and cook 1 minute for frozen and 3 to 3 1/2 minutes for fresh. Remove from heat, drain in a colander, and immediately plunge the peas into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, shallot, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while continuing to whisk. Add the peas, mint, parsley, and cheese, and stir to combine. Cover and allow to sit in refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes prior to serving.