Hearty and healthy, this easy lentil soup recipe combines nutritious lentils, garden-fresh vegetables, and a slew of spices into a warm bowl of comforting goodness. This recipe first appeared in Season 10 of Good Eats.
ACTIVE TIME: 45 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 15 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pound lentils, picked and rinsed
- 1 cup peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground toasted cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground grains of paradise
6-quart Dutch oven
Place the olive oil into a large, 6-quart Dutch oven set over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, carrot, celery, and salt, and sweat until the onions are translucent, 6 to 7 minutes.
Add the lentils, tomatoes, broth, coriander, cumin, and grains of paradise, and stir to combine.
Increase heat to high and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
Using an immersion blender, puree to your preferred consistency. Serve immediately.