Although bacon frying in a pan is iconic, there is a better way … much better.
LACQUERED BACON RECIPE
Write a review
- 1 pound thick-cut bacon
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground, separated into 1/4 measurements
- 4 tablespoons dark muscovado sugar, plus 3 tablespoons
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more if you're up to it)
- Set the oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper and lay the bacon in a single layer so that there's little or no space between the pieces on a cooling rack set in the pan.
- Liberally sprinkle one side of the bacon slices with the 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 4 tablespoons sugar and red pepper flakes.
- Set the sheet pan in the oven and roast for 15 minutes. Remove the pan and use the back of a spoon to spread the dissolved sugar/pepper mixture evenly across the slices of bacon. Wait one minute.
- Flip the bacon over and liberally sprinkle the other side of the bacon with remaining black pepper and 3 tablespoons sugar.
- Return the sheet pan to the oven and roast until desired doneness: 15 minutes for chewy, 18 minutes for crisp. Cool completely before devouring.
ALTON BROWN https://altonbrown.com/