I love the flavor of pumpkin. I love spices … but I’d rather be maced in the face than eat the pumpkin pie spice blends sold down at the megamart. This homemade version is so unlike those blends that I call it the Un-Pumpkin Pie spice. And I have to tell you, I actually use it for a lot more than pumpkin pie. (I even brew my coffee with it during the cold months.)
Nothing revolutionary here, but I assure you if you follow these steps you will be rewarded.
The Un-Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 dry allspice berries
- 1 whole star anise pod
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- Purchase quality ground cinnamon and dry ginger. (I get mine from TheSpiceHouse.com)
- Grind the allspice berries along with the star anise pod in a pepper mill or spice grinder.
- Grate a nutmeg on a micro grater until you have the desired amount.
- Combine in a small jar with a tight fitting lid.
- Use within 1 month.