Here’s a version of the classic that is nowhere near as heavy, salty or fatty as the one your grandmother used to make…OK, my grandmother used to make. As for the addition of noodles, you’re welcome.
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound broccoli (peeled stems and heads)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 12 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 3- ounce package chicken-flavored ramen noodles
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (grated, divided)
- 1/3 cup blue cheese dressing
- 2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in an 8-quart pot over high heat and add several heavy pinches of salt. Prepare an ice bath large enough to hold the broccoli. When the water boils, add the broccoli and blanch for 1 minute. Drain in a colander and immediately place in the ice bath to shock. Swirl around to cool completely, drain, and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8-inch square glass baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Melt the butter in a 10-inch straight-sided sauté pan and set over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté until they are just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the broccoli and noodles and toss to combine. Turn off the heat. Add the mayonnaise, yogurt, half of the cheese, the blue cheese dressing, eggs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the ramen noodle seasoning pack and toss to combine well. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and smash down with a spatula to compact the casserole. Sprinkle the top with the pepper and remaining cheese.
- Cover with heavy-duty aluminum foil and bake on the middle rack of the oven for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes before serving.
Yields: Approximately 6 to 8 servings