It’s time for the AltonBrown.com Top 10 Recipe List of 2016. And guess what … it’s nothing like 2015.
10. Morning Steel Cut Oatmeal: They’re nutty, chewy, delicious and just about the healthiest thing you can put in your mouth.
9. Hummus: Not only is the chickpea ridiculously nutritious and vice-grip versatile, no ingredient save the chickpea better sums up the Near and Middle Eastern cuisines.
8. Watermelon Rind Pickles: This recipe application for watermelon rind pickles is the finest thing you can do with a watermelon besides greasing it up and chasing it around the pool.
7. The Chewy: Extra chewiness is attained by substituting bread flour for regular all purpose, replacing one egg white with milk, and changing the ratio of brown to white sugar.
6. Overnight Cinnamon Rolls: Why go through the trouble to make these yourself? Because this kind of power should be in the hands of the people, not just those working in mall food courts.
5. Homemade Marshmallows: Once you have my base recipe down, the possibilities are endless.
4. Guacamole: Definitive, straight-forward and iconic. And oh yeah, damn tasty.
3. Thermal Shock Porterhouse Steak: I’ve chased the perfect steak for years and it turns out the secret is to use a pizza stone and a freezer. My work here is (finally) done.
2. Aged Eggnog: Yeah, this recipe has a lot of booze in it, but the longer the nog ages, the more mellow it will get.
1. Hot Cocoa Mix: Instant cocoa is a fine concept, but most commercial mixes aren’t exactly packed with quality ingredients or flavor. My signature instant cocoa blend will fortify you through winter’s worst.